I-Life in New Orleans 2006

Friday, March 24, 2006

I'm sitting in the back seat of a van that Ty Grigg is driving. I decided to ask him about his trip experiences.

me: What’s one of the things God was showing you this week?
Ty: Well – that house that our team was finishing cleaning yesterday – I kept thinking, “this house is Jesus’ house.” He was displaced because of the hurricane, and could come back and live there again. And I’m cleaning it for him.

me: What made you think of that?
Ty: I thought of Matthew 25 last night when we were having our prayer time with I-Life people; it was so clear how it applied – Jesus talking about helping the poor like it was actually helping him. Like, he identified with suffering so much that he said it was HIS suffering.

me: wow – right.
Ty: Maybe we tend to think of Jesus as someone really important – (and obviously he was God!) But we don’t naturally think of Jesus being a poor person, or a needy person, or weak, or homeless. I think this prevents us from seeing part of what he wanted us to see – a God who came and threw in his lot with _us_ – the poor and weak and human. It really can make us uncomfortable to think of Jesus as weak. But I think that’s what makes it so powerful.

2 Comments:

  • Were you able to get a group shot after all? Jeff Ellis

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:30 AM  

  • the blog has allowed me to join with you all a bit this week. thanks, ridgeway, for keeping us updated. i'm sure your weary fingers were tired after a hard day's work :) ty, awesome perspective on serving Jesus.

    By Blogger Jonathan King, at 1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home